Experience all things to do in Byron Bay! In Byron Bay, you can.....Tour the town and environs on sightseeing coach tours; see the coastal panoramas and fantastic surf beaches from the Lighthouse; experience the thrill of Whale Watching as they migrate past this most Easterly point; visit the Hinterland villages and see the birthplace of "hippy culture" in Australia; and enjoy the magnificent rainforest scenery, from fern lined, moss covered rocky creeks to spectacular lookouts, while you hear and see its wildlife.
Visit Tropical Fruit World for a taste of exotic fruits. Go horse riding along the beach, ocean kayaking, hot air ballooning, hang gliding and skydiving. The beauty of Byron's Northern NSW location also means that you can easily take a trip to the Gold Coast to visit the theme parks, shop and enjoy the dinner show at the Casino. Byron Bay provides a great location for those wishing to see the concentrated tourist areas of South-East Queensland while being tucked away in a beautiful natural destination just over the border, making day trips to a number of significant Queensland or Northern New South Wales attractions both as accessible as one another - simply get in your car or bus, and off you go!
In addition, if you're looking for more information on what to do in New South Wales, be sure to check out our state page!
Getting to Byron Bay
With three airports near Byron Bay, it is easy to fly to this small resort town. As there is also a train station and bus depot in the heart of town, you may opt to take the rail or bus—or to drive yourself in!
- The Ballina Airport provides the closest access, located just 30 minutes south of Byron Bay. While it provides the most direct access, it is a small airport with only one terminal and operates with only three carriers, JetStar, Regional Express, and Virgin Blue.
- The Coolangatta Airport/ the Gold Coast Airport is located in Coolangatta, just 40 minutes north of Byron Bay. This airport provides for flights from all major Australian capital cities, New Zealand and some Asian countries.
- The Brisbane Airport is located two hours north of Byron Bay. While it is the farthest of the three nearby airports, it is also the largest. Because it operates with a wider range of carriers, including international carriers, and receives many more flights daily, it may be the best option for some travelers.
- Qantas, Ph: 13 13 13
- Virgin, Ph: 13 67 89
- JetStar, Ph: 13 15 38
- Air New Zealand, Ph: 13 24 76
- Emirates, Ph: 1 300 303 777
- Air China, Ph: +61 2 9232 7277
- China Airlines, Ph: +61 2 9231 5588
- British Airways, Ph: 1 300 767 177
- Cathay Pacific, Ph: 13 17 47
- Japan Airlines, Ph: +61 2 9272 1111
- Malaysia Airlines, Ph: 13 26 27
- Singapore Airlines Ph: 13 10 11
- Thai Airways, Ph: 1 300 651 960
- Vietnam Airlines, Ph: 1 300 888 028
- Rex, Ph: 13 17 13
- Tiger Airways, Ph: +61 3 9335 3033
There are several companies that provide direct transfers from all of the major airports.
- Byron EasyBus offers affordable door to door transfers to and from the Ballina, Gold Coast, and Brisbane airports.
- Coolangatta – Byron Bay Airporter provides personalised mini coach transfers to and from the Gold Coast Airport.
- Click here for a more complete list of airport shuttles offered to and from the Gold Coast and Brisbane Airports.
From the Gold Coast Airport:
- Gold Coast Cabs
Ph: 13 10 08
From the Brisbane Airport:
- Black and White Cabs - http://blackandwhitecabs.com.au
Ph: 13 32 22
- Yellow Cab
Ph: 13 19 24
From the Ballina Airport:
- Byron Bay Taxis has a fleet of varying sizes and styles and provides airport transfers, as well as other transport.
Ph: 02 6685 5008
For a comfortable and reliable ride, consider taking the rail.
- CountryLink has a network of trains in NSW, Melbourne and Brisbane.
Ph: 13 22 32
Relax and let someone else do the driving by traveling in a coach bus.
It takes approximately 2 hours to drive from Brisbane and 9 hours from Sydney. For safety, be well rested if you choose to drive!
- For more information on hiring a car, contact Vroom Vroom Vroom.